A free, opensource, multiplatform, universal viewer, annotator and toolbox intended for, but not limited to, timeseries storage files
like EEG, EMG, ECG, BioImpedance, etc.
- Easy to install, just one executable, works everywhere, no special requirements or dependencies, no Python, Octave or Matlab needed
- Can handle large datasets
- Built-in BDF and EDF validator
- Supported fileformats: EDF, EDF+, BDF, BDF+
- Nihon Kohden EEG-1100/EEG-2100 (*.eeg) to EDF+ converter (including annotations)
- Unisens to EDF+ converter
- MIT to EDF+ converter (including annotations) for Physiobank
- Manscan Microamps (*.mbi/*.mb2) to EDF+ converter (including annotations)
- SCP-ECG (*.scp, EN 1064) to EDF+ converter
- ISHNE (*.ecg) to EDF+ converter
- Synchronized video playback
- Emsa (*.PLG) to EDF+ converter (including annotations)
- ASCII to EDF/BDF converter
- Finometer (Beatscope) to EDF converter
- Bmeye Nexfin (FrameInspector) to EDF converter
- WAV to EDF converter
- Mortara XML ECG to EDF converter
- reads Biosemi's trigger inputs from the BDF "Status" signal
- Annotation editor
- Header editor, fixes also lot's of different format-errors
- 1th to 8th order Butterworth, Chebyshev, Bessel and "moving average" filters
- Notchfilter with adjustable Q-factor
- Customizable FIR filter
- ECG powerline interference removal filter
- Spike filter removes spikes, glitches, fast transients or pacemaker impulses.
- Powerspectrum (FFT) with selectable window funtions and window lengths
- Color Density Spectral Array (CDSA)
- Pan-Tompkins QRS detector with possibility to export beats and RR-intervals
- FM modulated (transtelephonic) ECG recording to EDF converter
- Z-EEG measurement
- Waveform averaging using triggers, events or annotations, with export possibility
- Supports montages
- Import or export Annotations/events
- File reducer/cropper/decimator
- Downsampling signals
- Precise measurements by using crosshairs
- Zoomfunction by drawing a rectangle with the mouse
- Shows signals from different files at the same time
- EDF/EDF+/BDF/BDF+ to ASCII converter
- EDF/EDF+/BDF/BDF+ compatibility checker
- EDF+D to EDF+C converter
- BDF(+) to EDF(+) converter
- Prints to a printer, image or PDF
- Combine several files and export it to a new EDF file
- Exports a part of a file to a new file
- Reads from a streaming file (monitor)
- Available for Linux and Windows
(the source can be compiled on Mac OS X)
This is free software, it is experimental and available under the GPL License version 3.
No charge, no warranty, no taxes, no maintenance fees, no advertising, no adware, no spyware, no telemetry or data collection,
no automatic updates, no sales calls, no spam...
Even though this program is free, it is not cheap. A great deal of effort went into making this program useful,
so if you find a problem, please use the email address given in the program's about menu to report it.
Despite this software is intend to be usefull, there is no warranty, use this software at your own risk!
EDFbrowser may NOT be used in safety-critical applications, such as life-support medical systems.
The author is NOT responsible for any consequences. For research and educational purpose only.
Arch Linux users can install from the user repository: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/edfbrowser/
Ubuntu Linux users can install from the user repository: https://packages.ubuntu.com/groovy/edfbrowser
Unfortunately, the versions offered from Ubuntu (and Debian) are rather old and I don't recommend them.
Compile from source instead as described below, it's very easy.
- I don't have a Mac so I can't support it. Fortunately there's a volunteer who is so kind to compile EDFbrowser for the Mac.
A ready to install Mac OS X Disk Image File (dmg) can be found here or via Homebrew:
$ brew install --cask edfbrowser
Click here (GitLab) for the latest revision/patch/pre-release
64-bit Windows 7 and later
If there's a 32-bit version present on your system, remove it first before installing the 64-bit version.
32-bit Windows 2000, XP, and later
Latest patches & additions
The following bugfixes / additions will be available in the next version (you can pull them from GitLab and compile from source):
- Ishne ECG to EDF+ converter: added support to read and include the annotations file (*.ann).
Compiling and installing on Ubuntu Linux and derivatives
Simply execute the following commands in a terminal:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install g++ make git qtbase5-dev-tools qtbase5-dev qt5-default
git clone https://gitlab.com/Teuniz/EDFbrowser.git
sudo make install
Other EDF software
Some commandline format converters (without graphical user interface) for scripts or batchfiles.
Note that these converters are also in EDFbrowser.
A very convenient open-source programming library for C/C++ and Java programmers who want to implement EDF(+) and/or BDF(+).
EDF for Labview, a collection of VI's to write files in the European Data Format.